20070723

Genesis 23:11 - Beware of gifts, for nothing is free.

Nay, my lord, hear me: the field give I thee, and the cave that is therein, I give it thee; in the presence of the sons of my people give I it thee: bury thy dead.
Abraham was interested in only buying the cave of Machpelah; however, Ephron the Hittite offered to give him the cave, plus the field as well. Likewise, Araunah the Jebusite offered King David more than what he wanted to buy, all at no cost (2 Samuel 24:22). Both Abraham and King David refused to accept the gift and paid the fair market value of the offer. Solomon addresses the evils of gifts with the following proverbs:
  • He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live, Proverbs 15:27.
  • Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him gifs, Proverbs 19:6.
  • The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it, Proverbs 29:4.

No comments: